Objectives and competences
|Faculty or school||Faculty of Law|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available||40|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Language(s) of instruction||Spanish|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2022-2023|
|Coordination||ANA MARIA PALAU ROQUE|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
Objectives and competences
Students will examine the theoretical approaches to the study of public action and the problems encountered in politics and public administration, learning about the variables and analytical procedures required for empirical research in this field.
- Commitment to ethical practice (critical and self-critical capabilities/capacity to demonstrate attitudes consistent with accepted notions of ethical practice).
- Capacity for learning and responsibility (analysis, synthesis, initiative and team work).
- Communication skills (spoken and written expression, correct use of specialized language).
- Commitment to strengthening democratic values (pluralism, gender equality, sustainability).
- Capacity to apply specific techniques, procedures and analytical tools to the study of public action.
- Capacity to display an analytical, research-oriented mentality.<>/li>
- Expertise in the different forms of presentation of research results.
- Understanding of the different schools and epistemological/methodological approaches of political science.
- Critical reasoning skills applicable to the appraisal of political and social problems arising in the field of public action.
- Capacity to distinguish between the normative and empirical areas of political science and apply them in the analysis of specific problems.
- Ability to adopt a strategic, prospective approach to reflection on key issues in the field.
- Ability to understand and assess public policies in terms of performance and efficiency.
- Capacity to organize data, theories and methods for individual or group research.
- An understanding of different ways of organising information in public institutions.
- Capacity to strengthen commitment to ethical practice in the positions of both researcher and citizen.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileThis master's degree is intended primarily for graduates in Political and Administration Science. In exceptional cases, graduates in social and legal sciences are also admitted. Holders of other qualifications with relevant professional experience may be accepted, subject to completion of the necessary bridging courses. Future students should be interested in public affairs, and demonstrate a capacity for research, hard work and analysis, as well as a critical approach.
Access requirements and conditionsGeneral requirements
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
The legal admission requirements are defined in Royal Decree 1393/2007. Applicants must hold an official Spanish degree or a degree issued by a higher education institution within the EHEA. Other requirements for admission are established for students from educational systems outside the EHEA. Holders of pre-EHEA degrees or bachelor's degrees in political and administration science and sociology are eligible to enrol. In these cases there are no special admission requirements. Holders of pre-EHEA degrees or bachelor's degrees in social and legal sciences can also enrol, if they meet the requirements specified below (see selection criteria). Holders of degrees in other areas may also be eligible to enrol, if they have an academic or professional curriculum that indicates their suitability for the master's degree, and if accepted by the Admissions Committee.
Calendar17 March - 30 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 27 april and 7 July.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
Selection criteriaApplications are processed by the master's degree coordination committee.
NotificationThe Committee will consider all documentation submitted up before each deadline.
Successful candidates must pay a fee of '300 to reserve their place on the course.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- Grants and financial aid (in Catalan)
- Economic information (in Catalan)
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||18|
List of subjects
List of spring and autumn teaching staff on a current course
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.