Objectives and competences
|Faculty or school||Faculty of Psychology|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available||25|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2022-2023|
|Coordination||FELICIANO VILLAR POSADA|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
|Main university information||Master's degree course homepage|
|Main university||Universitat Santiago|
Objectives and competences
These studies are designed to provide the advanced training that would enable graduates to work with older adults, both in the field of promoting healthy and active ageing and in providing psychological care through dependence and pathologies associated with ageing.
- understand the professional skills required by psychologists working with older people and how they relate to other professionals trained in other disciplines;
- work in multidisciplinary teams;
- understand, compare and critically evaluate the different trends and traditions in the field of psychogerontology and the current theoretical and practical problems;
- develop the capacities in professional practice and research required to carry out tasks of assessment, psychological intervention and research into ageing;
With regard to the specific applications of the curriculum, students will also be able to:
- understand, select and apply tools for psychological assessment in the field of ageing;
- interpret the results of an assessment and produce accurate diagnoses of specific individuals, groups or situations;
- plan and develop intervention programmes, selecting the objectives, procedures and tools most appropriate to the characteristics of the problem and the context;
- design, develop and evaluate prevention, intervention and optimization programmes for older individuals and groups;
- apply theories on ageing to the conceptualization of specific cases and situations;
- assess and intervene in the family environment of older adults, both healthy and sick;
- design and plan environmental and social intervention programmes to help improve the quality of life of older people;
- understand the resources and organization of the healthcare system for the elderly;
- adjust actions to the corresponding legal and administrative framework and promote the changes needed to improve care for the elderly;
- identify and formulate research problems and participate in the design and development of research projects in psychogerontology;
- understand, apply and interpret data analysis applied to the study of ageing.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
Access requirements and conditionsGeneral requirements
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
The course is only open to psychology graduates. Holders of psychology degrees issued outside Spain must ensure that they meet the criteria established by the Coordination Committee.
In addition, the following selection criteria will be taken into account:
- Grade point average for the undergraduate degree used for the purpose of application.
- Officially accredited English-language skills, at a sufficient level to ensure a good comprehension of scientific texts.
- Motivation for study, attitude and interpersonal skills, evaluated in a personal interview.
- Academic and professional experience gained after completion of the undergraduate degree used for the purpose of application (scientific publications, academic stays in renowned centres, research experience, work experience, scholarships or grants, awards, etc.).
CalendarFirst period: 3 April - 23 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 26 - 30 June.
Second period: 3 July - 1 September 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 4 - 8 September.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- Grants and financial aid (in Catalan)
- Economic information (in Catalan)
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||8|
List of subjects
List of spring and autumn teaching staff on a current course
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.