Objectives and competences
The master's degree in Conflict Mediation is characterized by a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approach. As such, tuition is provided by university lecturers and other professionals a range of fields, including psychology, law, education, economics, business and nursing.
Mediation arises from the need to address the personal, relational, structural and cultural conflicts that arise in public and private settings. The aim of conflict mediation is to transform a dispute in a peaceful way and to facilitate mutual understanding on the social, legal and political levels. In professional terms, mediation is a sector that has experienced rapid growth in recent years, in Catalonia, across Spain, and throughout the European Union.
En los últimos cinco años, se ha producido un significativo incremento en la demanda de mediadores, especialmente en el ámbito público. Últimamente, sin embargo, está aumentando la demanda de mediación en el sector privado y en empresas y organizaciones.
Si bien desde hace años hay plazas dentro del servicio de mediación y reparación penal del Departamento de Justicia, es a partir de la publicación, en 2005, del libro Los servicios de mediación comunitaria: propuestas de actuación y de la puesta en marcha del Centro de Mediación Familiar de Cataluña que empiezan a surgir ofertas para mediadores dentro de la Administración local. A este hecho debe sumarse el incremento en la demanda de mediadores por parte de la ciudadanía, para resolver conflictos en el ámbito familiar y comunitario, de consumo y escolar principalmente, tal como se puso de relieve en el Libro Blanco de la Mediación en Cataluña (2010) con los datos obtenidos en este estudio de investigación, emprendido precisamente para obtener una radiografía de la mediación.
El máster de Mediación en Conflictos surge de la necesidad de dar una formación universitaria de calidad, especialmente en relación con la mediación, en los ámbitos del derecho civil y del derecho mercantil, y de las organizaciones, tanto a futuros mediadores profesionales como a futuros investigadores en el ámbito de la mediación.
Objectives and competences
The master's degree in Conflict Mediation provides professional training in conflict management and mediation, giving students them the skills and knowledge to take action in the family, community and business or organizational spheres, and to promote conflict prevention, management and resolution. The course also prepares students for a career in research.
The master's degree offers highly specialized training in mediation techniques and strategies and in research methods in the area of mediation, incorporating methodologies that have a significant practical and participative focus.
- Interpersonal skills for work in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Capacity to use information and communication technologies for a range of purposes (to communicate with other professionals, to obtain information, to share knowledge, etc.).
- Capacity to search for and assess scientific evidence, to support assertions and actions in professional practice.
- Respect for diversity and a commitment to ethical professional practice.
- Ability to prevent and manage conflicts by identifying the risk factors that trigger and perpetuate them.
- Capacity to apply mediation strategies and techniques to prevent and manage conflict situations in the family and community settings.
- Capacity to apply mediation strategies and techniques to prevent and manage conflict situations in commercial and organizational settings.
- Capacity to use suitable research methods and procedures in the field of mediation and intervention.
- Understanding of different areas of mediation (community, school, family, intercultural, workplace, criminal, health, commercial, business, international, environmental and online, among others) and their specific characteristics (type of conflicts, availability of information about and access to mediation, requirements and working conditions, legal framework, actors, etc.).
- Capacity to identify emerging contexts, open new markets, and distribute information about mediation to potential users.
- Capacity to design studies, use mediation research methods, prepare projects and protocols, create new concepts and develop innovative methods.
- Ability to communicate and transfer knowledge on mediation to wider society.
- Capacity to plan and guide a mediation process.
- Capacity to facilitate group dialogue, decision-making and negotiation.
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
Candidates should hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent undergraduate qualification and have a strong motivation to acquire knowledge of alternative procedures for conflict resolution and to analyse problems using multidisciplinary approaches. Credit will be given for previous knowledge or professional experience in the field of mediation and related areas.
Candidates should have a good level of English, at least equivalent to B1 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Access requirements and conditions
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29 October, students wishing to be admitted to a university master's degree must hold one of the following qualifications:
- Official Spanish university degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification issued by an institution outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, applicants must request homologation of the degree to its equivalent official Spanish university qualification or obtain express approval from the University of Barcelona, which will conduct a study of equivalence to ensure that the degree is of a comparable level to an official Spanish university qualification and that it grants access to university master's degree study in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Candidates should hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent undergraduate qualification and possess a good level of English (B1 or higher). Credit will also be given for postgraduate training or professional experience in areas related to mediation.
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.