Objectives and competences
The general objective of the master's degree in Professional Administrative Services is to provide social science graduates with comprehensive, vocationally-focused training that will enable them to specialize as administrative services professionals.
This master's degree trains skilled professionals to intervene in the preparation, execution and resolution of administrative dealings with government bodies on behalf of natural and legal persons and entities without legal personality, requiring specialized knowledge but not the accredited technical competences of qualified legal professionals.
The master's degree is strongly oriented toward professional practice, preparing students for professional activities in the management of administrative services. When students complete their master's degree, they will receive accreditation from the Consell de Col·legis Oficials de Gestors Administratius de Catalunya (the Council of Official Colleges of Administrative Management of Catalonia), the leading professional body in the field within Catalonia.
The degree also offers a research pathway, which comprises initial academic training following by hands-on research work.
Objectives and competences
The master's degree in Professional Administrative Services is designed to train skilled professionals to intervene in the preparation, execution and resolution of administrative dealings with government bodies on behalf of natural and legal persons and entities without legal personality.
Given the extensive and mandatory use of IT in the administrative dealings between individuals, companies and government bodies, the course includes training in a range of technology solutions and specific tools required for professional practice in this field.
The course syllabus has been structured to reflect the needs of administrative services professionals and therefore provides integrated and systematic training in the essential techniques required for daily practice. Similarly, the subjects that make up the course have been designed to meet the official requirements on access to the administrative services profession.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Display a range of basic, specific and transferable skills.
- Apply their knowledge, handle the complexity of formulating judgements, and assess the legal and economic consequences of their decisions.
- Make decisions in complex situations.
- Communicate their conclusions publicly.
- Inform, advise and consult in relations with public authorities.
- Design and plan processes and strategies for professional practice, anticipating and assessing the legal and economic consequences.
- Apply conflict resolution techniques typically required in administrative services, considering various alternatives to a financial or legal problem.
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
The course is primarily addressed to candidates with a degree in the social sciences, particularly law, political science and public administration, public administration and management or labour relations.
It may also be suitable for graduates in economics and sociology, as research shows a growing interest in professional administrative services among those with training in these disciplines. The degree provides the additional legal training that candidates with these profiles would need to work as administrative services professionals.
Access requirements and conditions
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Access to the course is typically granted to candidates holding a degree or equivalent qualification in:
- Business Administration and Management
- Political and Administration Sciences
- Public Management and Administration
- Labour Relations
10 March - 30 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 27 April and 7 July.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
Candidates are selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Academic record for the qualification granting access to the course (60%).
- Statement of interest: candidates should attach a written statement outlining the reasons for their application to the degree (20%).
- Curriculum vitae: candidates should attach a full curriculum vitae outlining their academic and professional experience (20%). The following aspects are viewed favourably:
- Professional experience.
- Additional training related to the subject of the master's degree.
The Committee will consider all documentation submitted up before each deadline.
Successful candidates must pay a fee of '300 to reserve their place on the course.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
List of subjects
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?
The master's degree is specifically designed to prepare candidates for professional practice in administrative services, either in a freelance capacity or in the employment of an agency. Students will develop the skills to intervene in the preparation, execution and resolution of administrative dealings with government bodies on behalf of natural and legal persons and companies.
Access to the labour market
Data from the university system in Catalonia