|Faculty or school||Faculty of Education|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available|
450 (excluding double degrees)
|Length of course||4 academic years|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan 75,5%, Spanish 21,6%, English 2,9%|
9,208 (July 2022, start of process, via official entrance examinations/vocational training)
|Approximate price per credit||17,69 €|
|Coordinator||ENCARNACION CARRASCO PEREA|
Primary school teacher
Objectives and competences
- Analyse and plan the task of education in response to the needs of current society.
- Understand the characteristics and conditions under which school learning takes place and carry out a tutorial function, guiding parents and students.
- Act as mediators so that the classroom activity is significant and stimulates all students' potential to develop.
- Promote values such as mutual tolerance, effort, perseverance, discipline, gender equality and human rights.
- Motivate students to progress effectively through school, through a holistic educational approach.
- Organise how students interact with the object of study, and promote independent and cooperative learning.
- Design and develop educational projects, modules, environments, activities and materials, including digital materials, so that the curriculum can be adapted to a wide range of students and ensure their well-being.
- Use the educational task of assessment to bring about improvements in the teaching and learning processes.
- Teach in multicultural and multilingual contexts.
- Adopt an ethical approach as a teacher: act with responsibility, take decisions and critically analyse proposals on education emerging from research and education innovation.
- Lead innovation projects in curricular areas for which specific expertise is available.
The general competences described in the report on the bachelor's degree Teacher in Primary Education are based on an understanding of learning as a complex, diverse, universal phenomenon involving the capacity to regulate the process yourself, adapt to new situations, and combine information from different fields to create new knowledge. From this perspective, information needs must be identified, analysed, and communicated in different registers in a critical, creative way to solve problems and manage projects. To achieve this, criticism and self-criticism, as well as personal and professional ethical commitment, are required. The social and environmental impact must be evaluated to improve quality.
The specific competences that students should develop in the bachelor's degree Teacher in Primary Education are focused on key concepts such as understanding the characteristics and conditions of learning, to determine how to influence student development in different contexts and family situations. It is important to understand how schools and adult education classes are organised, and to share knowledge and evaluate experiences through group work. In terms of the organisation of teaching, it is vital that interdisciplinary, cross-disciplinary and multidisciplinary knowledge is organised in an integrated, independent way, based on designing projects that embrace diversity. Consequently, it is important to identify and help students with learning or behavioural difficulties, and know how to request advice from various services and specialists.
Teaching involves improving, updating and adapting to the latest scientific, educational, social and cultural changes. Therefore, it is essential to participate in innovation projects that incorporate information and communication technologies to foster a critical and responsible attitude in students, and to analyse the complexity of the teacher's role in the relationship between school and society, from an ethical and responsible perspective.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
- The bachelor's degree Teacher in Primary Education is a university qualification and can be accessed by candidates who meet the University of Barcelona's admission requirements, as indicated by the Office for University Entrance.
- Primary school teachers work in a professional environment that requires great dedication to others, specifically to children and their families, along with the other professionals associated with child development. Therefore, it is essential to have very good interpersonal and social skills. In particular, it is important to be emotionally balanced and to have the skills needed to work in a team and adopt the required roles in group projects.
- Students are expected to have an interest in culture, human and scientific knowledge, and above all, to respect different beliefs, social practices and cultures.
- Academically, students must be capable of regulating their own learning (planning, organising, taking and evaluating decisions, and acting accordingly). They must be able to produce knowledge rigorously in the framework of education, both individually and as a group, and generate new ideas based on researching and reflecting on the subjects covered in initial training in the bachelor's degree in Primary Education.
Access requirements and conditions
Admission for students with studies completed outside Spain.
Applicants holding higher educational qualifications from a university outside Spain should consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications to find out about specific admission requirements.
Students that have studied abroad and who wish to study at the University of Barcelona may be admitted to EHEA bachelor's degree courses. Procedures for gaining admission will depend on the qualifications held by each applicant.
For further information about admission, consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online via the Món UB portal. To find out the date and time you have been assigned, check the specific information for your course. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned.
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- After enrolment
- Grants and financial aid
Support and guidance
Pre-enrolment information and events
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||6|
List of subjects
|Educational Psychology in Primary Education||Annual||Basic training||12|
|Catalan for Teaching Purposes||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Educational Processes and Teaching Practice in Primary Education||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Sociology of Education: Social and Educational Change and Multiculturality||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Spanish for Teaching Purposes||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|English for Teaching Purposes||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Introduction to the Teaching and Learning of Language and Literature||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Planning, Design and Application of Learning and Teaching Practice||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Tutorial Action: School, Family and Community Relations||
|Physical Education in the Primary School||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Practical Classes I||1st semester||Practices||6|
|Primary Education in Plastic Arts||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Natural Sciences||
|The Educational System and School Organization||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Mathematical Reasoning and Activity in Primary Education||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Communication Skills||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Geography||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Matter, Energy and Interaction||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Theory and Practice of Inclusive Education||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Introduction to the Teaching and Learning of English||
|Musical Expression in Primary Education||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of History||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Literature for Children and Adolescents||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teaching and Learning of Mathematics I||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Practical Classes II||
|Research and Innovation in Educational Practice||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Teacher Language Planning||
|Teaching and Learning of Mathematics II||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Compulsory final project||6|
|Practical Classes III||Practices||9|
Pathways and specializationsMinor in Physical Education
Minor in Education in Music
Minor in Visual Education and Education in Plastic Arts
Minor in Foreign Languages
Minor in Curricular Development
Minor in School Libraries
Minor in Digital Technology for Learning, Communication and Expression
Minor in Attention to Diversity
Check the planning of the different pathways of the degree
List of spring and autumn teaching staff on a current course
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment.They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?
You will be able to work in the following fields:
- Primary school teaching.
- Out-of-school educational activities.
- Education departments in educational organizations and institutions (zoos, museums, parks, gardens, theatres, holiday camps, art and sports associations).
- Related economic activities (production and distribution of teaching materials, material to facilitate teaching, text books, computer programmes, etc.).
Faculty of Education
Pg. de la Vall d'Hebron, 171 - 08035 Barcelona
Secretary: 934 020 269