|Faculty or school||Faculty of Education|
|Branch of knowledge||Education sciences, Interdisciplinary|
|Mode of delivery||Presencial|
|Number of places available||390|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan and Spanish|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (71 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2021-2022|
|Coordination||SUSANA ARANEGA ESPAÑOL|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
Objectives and competences
- Understand the curricular content of the corresponding teaching specializations, and be familiar with relevant teaching and learning processes.
- Plan, implement and evaluate teaching and learning processes, identifying areas for improvement to facilitate the acquisition of competences in each area of knowledge.
- Define a curriculum you would wish to implement in an educational institution participating in collective planning.
- Design and develop learning spaces, focusing particularly on equality, emotional education and values, equal rights and opportunities and diversity, and incorporating tutor responsibilities.
- Apply strategies to stimulate student effort, thereby increasing the capacity for independent and collective learning, and for the resolution of conflict.
- Understand the regulations and the institutional organization of the education system.
- Provide parents/guardians with information and advice on teaching and learning processes, and on the personality, academic profile and professional outlook of their children.
- Understand the formative and cultural value of the subjects covered in the specialization and the content of the corresponding programs of study.
- With regard to vocational training, understand the evolution of the world of work, the relationships between society, work and quality of life, and the need to acquire proper training to be able to adapt to possible changes that may be required in different jobs.
- With regard to educational and professional counselling, understand the processes and resources for preventing inter-personal and learning problems, and academic and professional counselling techniques.
Profile of generic competences
- Knowledge of the functions, features, regulatory framework, organization and historical evolution of the Spanish educational system and its configuration in Catalonia, and of the basic organizational elements of schools and other education centres and their relationships with political structures and the public administration.
- Understanding of the fundamental and defining aspects of society and the family environment and the roles they play in education. Ability to establish effective channels of communication and cooperation between the educational institution, the students and their families. Understanding of the importance of contemporary in providing educational guidance, and capacity to apply measures for promoting of education.
- Understanding of the psychological development of students, their social contexts and principal motivations.
- Capacity to design and apply strategies for optimising the benefits of classroom interaction and communication, and methodologies for obtaining the best possible academic performance.
- Capacity to create programs of activities and study from the general and specific aspects of educational curricula. Capacity to plan educational programs with regard to established learning objectives and required skills and competences.
- Capacity to apply evaluation tools and strategies adapted to specific areas of knowledge, the specific and general objectives in each case, and the skills and competences to be learned.
- Ability to identify and deal effectively and sensitively with individual differences and the general diversity of the student population. Capacity to detect specific learning difficulties, and employ the appropriate resources for overcoming these difficulties.
- Capacity to introduce information and communication technologies into educational activities.
- Capacity to employ a range of methods for mediation and conflict resolution.
- Capacity to promote group work and coordination in teaching practice.
- Ability to apply fundamental educational research techniques and methodologies, and the capacity to design and carry out research and innovation projects applicable to the general field of education and specific contexts in the field of knowledge. Capacity to apply innovative teaching methodologies and strategies.
- Commitment to ethical practice, based on critical and self-critical capabilities and an appreciation of the social importance of education.
- Capacity to promote the use of scientific method as a research and learning tool. Capacity to use personal scientific knowledge of the discipline to design models for facilitating the understanding of contemporary reality, and of reasoned, well-founded and critical decisions related to the major issues of contemporary society.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileThe master's is addressed to holders of a doctorate or any type of degree qualification who wish to become teachers of compulsory secondary education, upper secondary education or vocational training.
Given the nature of the course, candidates are expected to display the following characteristics:
- An interest in education and teaching.
- Sufficient knowledge in the subject matter of the chosen specialization.
- An interest in culture in the broadest sense.
- Interest and aptitude for interpersonal communication and group leadership.
- Interest and experience participating in projects of social intervention, socioeducational or other projects, primarily targeted at adolescence and youth.
- Knowledge of and aptitude in the use of foreign languages.
Access requirements and conditionsIn accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Paragraph 4.2 of the Annex to Order ECI/3858/2007 of 27 December establishes that admission to the master's degree requires demonstrable accreditation of competences and skills relevant to the specialization of choice, which will be verified by means of a test, from which candidates in possession of a university degree corresponding to this specialization will be exempt.
Relevant degree qualifications must have been issued by a university in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). In cases of degrees issued by universities not included in the EHEA, the qualification must be certified to have provided a level of education equivalent to the corresponding official university degrees in Spain, and entitle the holder to access postgraduate studies in the issuing country.
Furthermore, paragraph 4.2 of the Annex to Order ECI/3858/2007 of 27 December establishes that access to the master's degree requires demonstrable knowledge of a second language equivalent to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Pre-enrolment for the master's degree is determined by the Generalitat of Catalonia.
Further information about the master degree
Further information about pre-enrolment
(links in Catalan)
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
Selection criteriaAs stated in paragraph 3 of the document approved on 27 February 2008 by the Academic Planning Committee of the Interuniversity Council of the Government of Catalonia, the Interuniversity Council is responsible for the coordination and management of entrance exams for the master's degree. These exams, specific to each of the qualifications that allow access to the master's degree, are designed and corrected by a committee established for each specialization, comprising representatives from the various universities in Catalonia offering the corresponding qualification. The Catalan Office for University Entrance plays a very important role in this process.
NotificationThe entrance score used for the allocation of places is the mean score taken from the relevant academic record, regardless of when the academic record of university studies that grant access to the chosen special.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online via the Món UB portal. To find out the date and time you have been assigned, check the specific information for your course. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned.
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- After enrolment
- Grants and financial aid
Support and guidance
Pre-enrolment information and events
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||6|
List of subjects
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 750 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.