|Faculty or school||Faculty of Education|
|Branch of knowledge||Education sciences, Social sciences, social work, industrial relations and human resources, sociology, political science and international relations|
|Mode of delivery||Presencial|
|Number of places available||25|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Language(s) of instruction||Spanish|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2021-2022|
|Coordination||JOSE LUIS MEDINA MOYA|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
Objectives and competences
- Adopt epistemological and methodological approaches in educational research focused on a deeper understanding of the educational reality and its transformation and change.
- Take an enquiring approach to the use of research resources in the analysis of education and educational practice.
- Devise and design projects for educational research and put them into practice.
- Use research skills to identify and understand current educational problems and needs and to promote processes for improvement and change built on research findings.
- Study the contributions of teaching, training and assessment to the understanding and improvement of educational practice.
- Apply the findings from teaching, training and assessment to different contexts, levels and types of formal and informal education.
- Acquire a detailed understanding of teaching, training and assessment capabilities as they apply to higher education.
- Understand and analyse the subjective, relational and institutional dimensions of teaching practice by reflecting on experience.
- Understand, consider, research and study specific aspects of training and assessment in different educational situations and from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Understand the theoretical and methodological components of educational evaluation and apply them to the resolution of specific issues of educational relevance.
- Design, implement and evaluate creative and innovative strategies for individual and group relationships in education.
- Research educational situations in multicultural and differentiated environments, focusing on aspects of cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic and generational diversity.
- Display a knowledge of current policy trends with regards to the management and quality of higher education and institutional evaluation.
- Analyse, apply and make decisions with regard to changes in policy and university management, teaching processes and assessment in higher education.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileThe course is designed for students and education professionals who wish to undertake educational research, in order to pursue doctoral studies or to apply their findings to educational practice.
Access requirements and conditionsIn accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Holders of any degree can will be considered for admission.
The course is intended primarily for holders of university degrees in education, teaching (primary or secondary education), social education, educational psychology and other educational disciplines.
It is also open to educational professionals with degrees in other areas of human sciences, social sciences, natural sciences, experimental and technological sciences, and health sciences. In this case, applicants must provide evidence of four years of teaching experience in formal or non-formal education: this should include accreditation of the tasks performed by the company or institution at which the experience was acquired, and a report by the candidate outlining the skills and competences developed during this period. In these cases, credit will be given for previous teacher training courses completed.
Calendar- First period: 1 February - 30 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: the first fortnight of the month following the submission of the application.
- Second period: 1 July - 4 September 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 8 September.
A new extraordinary period will open in September in the event that vacancies remain.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
Selection criteriaPreference will be given to candidates with previous studies in education. Consideration will also be given to candidates holding a university qualification in another area with professional experience in education.
Candidates are selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- University qualification related relating to education, and corresponding transcript (30%).
- Professional experience in education (20%).
- Research experience in education (20%).
- Relevance of curriculum vitae and statement of interest to the general objectives of the master's degree (20%).
- Other merits (10%).
NotificationOnly applications that include the required documentation and include the payment of the pre-registration fee will be assessed.
By the deadline established in the pre-enrolment calendar, the resolution of admission is notified by email or published on the website.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online via the Món UB portal. To find out the date and time you have been assigned, check the specific information for your course. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned.
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- After enrolment
- Grants and financial aid
Support and guidance
Pre-enrolment information and events
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||12|
List of subjects
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?This master's degree has been designed for two main groups of students:
- Those interested in completing their academic training with studies that develop skills for the professional world. Career opportunities are widely available to professionals specializing in teaching, teacher training and educational assessment.
- Those interested in undertaking research, who can continue to the doctoral programme in Education and Society once they have completed the master's programme.