Objectives and competences
|Faculty or school||Faculty of Geography and History|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery||Presencial|
|Number of places available||30 of face-to-face learning and 30 of distance learning|
|Length of course||2 academic years|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan and Spanish|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2022-2023|
|Coordination||NURIA PUMAR BELTRAN|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
|Main university||Universitat Barcelona|
Objectives and competences
The specialization in Theory, Criticism and Culture trains researchers and professionals capable of integrating a gender perspective into research, teaching and professional practice in all areas of scientific and technical knowledge and in the social and human sciences.
The specialization in Women, Work and Public Policies trains professionals capable of contributing to the design, implementation and evaluation of public policies from a feminist gender perspective, as well as the design, implementation and evaluation of equality plans.
- Display a detailed understanding of the main trends in feminist theory, women's history, and the contribution of various disciplines to the study of the sociocultural configuration of gender and sexuality.
- Integrate a gender perspective into research and teaching in scientific, social and human disciplines.
- Integrate a gender perspective into the dissemination of feminist knowledge.
- Design, implement and evaluate equality plans for public and private institutions and companies.
- Integrate a gender perspective into the design, implementation and evaluation of public policies.
- Apply research and intervention strategies and techniques, with a concern for gender.
- Resolve issues of intercultural mediation, particularly with respect to women's groups.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
- Holders of bachelor's degrees or equivalent undergraduate degrees and professionals (both men and women) who are interested in learning about the applicability of issues related to gender differences in their discipline or profession.
- People who want to reflect on and act in institutional, political or professional environments to bring an end to gender discrimination and inequality.
- People with a particular interest in critical intellectual work on the categories and discourses transmitted by cultural tradition who are concerned with the visibility or study of women's scientific, technical, philosophical and artistic works.
- People with training in gender studies who now require an official qualification, as a result of the new professional roles shaped by equality legislation.
Access requirements and conditionsIn accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Candidates must have one of the following types of degrees:
- An official university diploma or other undergraduate degree.
- An EHEA bachelor's degree, under to the new syllabuses that were introduced in the academic year 2008-2009.
CalendarFirst period: 3 February - 16 June 2023.
Notificaction of resolutions: 30 June.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
- Cumulative grade point average for previous studies, taken from the candidate's transcript (60%).
- Previous studies and professional experience related to gender issues and equality (15%).
- Suitability of qualifications obtained prior to the master's degree. Credit will be given for related degrees in the areas of the arts and humanities, social and legal sciences, health sciences, and the degrees of architecture and telecommunication science and technology (10%).
- Motivation for applying, expressed in a statement of interest (10%).
- Knowledge of Catalan, Spanish and another foreign language (5%).
The Committee may ask certain candidates to attend a personal interview.
NotificationAccepted applicants must submit original copies of all documents. Documents such as foreign degree qualifications must be legalized via the appropriate channels. See more information.
Pre-enrolment applications that are submitted without the required documentation will not be considered. All documentation must be handed in by the established deadline.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- Grants and financial aid (in Catalan)
- Economic information (in Catalan)
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||15|
List of subjects
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?
- Equality officer: an important figure since the approval of new equality legislation, who will soon play a major role in companies, government bodies and associations.
- Media, NGOs, educational institutions and local and state government.
- Research and analysis integrating a gender perspective.