Objectives and competences
El màster s’estructura en tres especialitats que tracten els temes i els corrents que més han influït i continuen influint en la configuració de la nostra cultura i la nostra visió del món.
The master's degree is divided into three specializations that address the topics and trends that have had the greatest influence on shaping our culture and our view of the world.
|Faculty or school||Faculty of Philosophy|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available||40|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan and Spanish (according to subject)|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2022-2023|
|Coordination||ANTONIO CASTILLA CEREZO|
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
Objectives and competences
This general focus will be articulate through a multidisciplinary approach, in line with the nature of the subject matter, although the backbone of course will consist of historical and systematic study of the central themes that have been and continue to be of key importance in the sphere of philosophy.
The program will be research-orientated, although other competences will be indirectly acquired, many of which are applicable in a range of professional settings, particularly in the field of education.
- SC1. Ability to comprehend philosophical texts in their original language, at least when written in one of the great languages of culture.
- SC2. Capacity to distinguish between the concepts underlying the formulation of seemingly identical or very similar philosophical ideas.
- SC3. Ability to identify conceptual coincidences and similarities between different formulations of philosophical ideas.
- SC4. Capacity to understand the inter-dependency of different theoretical and practical concepts.
- SC5. Ability to organize different philosophical concepts into coherent frameworks (concept maps).
- SC6. Capacity to recognize the influences of particular cultural trends on other areas of culture.
- SC7. Capacity to interpret philosophical texts from other eras without anachronism.
- SC8. Capacity to put the various components of a particular philosophical doctrine in hierarchical order, distinguishing between fundamental aspects and secondary themes.
- SC9. Ability to distinguish which of the ideas expressed by the author of a philosophical text are truly original and which are not.
- SC10. Capacity to locate the most up-to-date and relevant literature for each topic, in particular general bibliography and critical editions.
IMPORTANT: Since this master's degree is structured into several specializations, some specific competences correspond to certain specializations and not others (i.e. some may be restricted to the compulsory subjects within each specialization):
- Specialization A: SC1, SC7
- Specialization B: SC2, SC4
- Specialization C: SC3, SC6
All other competences will de developed across all three specializations.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileRegardless of previous qualifications, all students must possess the general academic maturity to work with highly abstract concepts. In accordance with the requirements of each specialization, students must possess or commit to acquiring certain basic skills in some of the languages of the dominant cultures in the historical period of their chosen specialization.
Access requirements and conditionsGeneral requirements
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Candidates holding llicenciatura or EHEA bachelor's degrees, or recognized national equivalents, in one of the following subjects or a closely related discipline will have priority for acceptance on this master's degree course:
- Education Sciences
- History of Art
- Fine Arts
Based on the formation submitted with the candidate's application, the Coordination Committee may also grant admission to students who are considered to have an appropriate academic background.
Calendar20 February - 5 July 2023.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
Selection criteriaIf demand exceeds the number of places offered, the Admission Committee will select candidates on the basis of the following criteria:
- Academic transcript (maximum 5 points).
- Previous training in philosophy, philology, history, humanities, education sciences, art history or fine arts (maximum 2 points).
- The candidate's reasons for applying (assessed in an interview with the Coordinator; maximum 2 points).
- References provided by previous teachers (maximum 1 point).
NotificationThe Coordination Committee is responsible for evaluating applications and selecting candidates. Successful students will receive notification via email; the full admission list is then published by the Coordination Committee.
Those candidates who do not agree with the selection may choose to lodge an appeal with the Academic Committee, which will review the application and issue a definitive decision.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- Grants and financial aid (in Catalan)
- Economic information (in Catalan)
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||15|
List of subjects
|Specialization: BC for admission to the Master's Degree in Contemporary Thought and Classical Tradition|
|History of Ancient Philosophy I||Optional||1st semester||6|
|History of Ancient Philosophy II||Optional||2nd semester||6|
|History of Contemporary Philosophy I||Optional||1st semester||6|
|History of Contemporary Philosophy II||Optional||2nd semester||6|
|History of Modern Philosophy I||Optional||1st semester||6|
|History of Modern Philosophy II||Optional||2nd semester||6|
List of spring and autumn teaching staff on a current course
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 750 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?- Access to doctoral programmes that prepare professionals for university life and work.
- Research and teaching in universities or secondary education.
- Cultural management and mediation.
- Tasks in the communication and dissemination of thought, particularly in the publishing and multimedia markets.
- Analysis and consultancy in the fields of politics and trade unions and in social and cultural projects.
Access to the labour marketData from the university system in Catalonia
Faculty of Philosoy
Montalegre, 6 - 08001 Barcelona
Secretary: 934 037 722 - 934 037 719
Coordinator: 93 403 75 16