Objectives and competences
It is aimed at professionals (doctors, psychologists, veterinary practitioners, etc.) who wish to update their knowledge on the most relevant aspects of neurosciences. These studies are aimed at people who are interested in various topics: how the human brain codes colour vision or oral discourse. The molecular and cellular bases of drug addiction. Why neurons do not regenerate spontaneously. Physiological mechanisms of complex behaviours. Understanding of psychiatric disorders from a biological viewpoint. The advances made in pharmacological and regenerative therapies to treat neurodegenerative disease and central nervous system trauma. Usefulness of laboratory animals in the study of neurological diseases.
|Faculty or school||Faculty of Biology|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available||60|
|Length of course||1 academic year|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan, Spanish and English|
|Approximate price per credit||27.67 euros per credit (82 euros for students who are not EU nationals and do not currently reside in Spain). Fees for the academic year 2022-2023|
|Coordination||FAUSTO A ULLOA DARQUEA|
ESTER VERDAGUER CARDONA
|Lead to doctoral studies||Yes|
|Admission for applicants not holding a degree qualification||No|
|Main university||Universitat Barcelona|
Objectives and competences
The general objectives of the master's degree are as follows:
- To acquire cross-disciplinary knowledge to ensure a multidisciplinary vision of the tasks performed by scientists.
- To develop the ability to apply the scientific method, using creativity, logic and critical thinking.
- To update molecular and cellular knowledge and integrate this knowledge in order to address topics such as understanding, preventing and treating diseases of the nervous system.
- To attain training as scientists in the biomedical field who can then act as bridges between basic and clinical research.
- To promote interaction between the academic and business worlds, and foster the development and management of R&D centres and research foundations.
- To attain training as an expert in the biomedical field of the neurosciences who can conduct teaching.
- Capacity for fluent public speaking.
- The ability to understand that scientific knowledge is cross-disciplinary and ensure a multidisciplinary vision of the neurosciences.
- The ability to apply the scientific method, using creativity, logic and critical thinking in the various fields of the neurosciences.
- The ability to understand the importance of the interaction between the academic and business worlds in the promotion of innovation and transfer.
- The ability to exercise profound respect for ethics and intellectual integrity.
- The ability to communicate results using various means of dissemination, while also understanding their limitations.
Students will acquire specific competences related to three teaching blocks:
1. Normal functioning of the nervous system.
2. Disorders and aging of the nervous system.
3. Methodology used in the study of the nervous system.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
The master's degree is designed for highly motivated students who want to acquire new knowledge in disciplines not covered in their completed studies or who would like to deepen their current knowledge.
Applicants should have prior knowledge of one or more of the following areas:
- Cell biology, molecular biology, fundamental chemistry, fundamental physics, human or animal physiology, psychobiology and pharmacology.
- Psychology, human or animal neuroanatomy, biophysics, histology and human or animal organography, developmental biology, genetics, organic chemistry, protein structure and functions, neurology, neuropathology and animal biology.
Applicants should also have expertise in the use of one or more specialized programs and possess strong reading comprehension of texts written in English.
Positive consideration will be given to the completion of subjects at universities other than the applicant's home university, for example on an Erasmus program, and to the submission of a letter of recommendation from research groups working in the general field of neurosciences.
Access requirements and conditionsGeneral requirements
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
Applicants should hold an official bachelor's degree or equivalent undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: Biology, Biochemistry, Basic Medical Sciences, Medicine, Pharmacy, Psychology, Veterinary Science, Dentistry, Biotechnology, Biomedicine or equivalent, Genetics, Physiotherapy, Biomedical Engineering or other bachelor's degree related to life sciences and engineering disciplines. Applications from students with other degrees will be considered as long as they are supported by a research group in the area of neurosciences.
It is also recommendable to have completed the bachelor's degree subjects Cell Biology and Psychology. Students who have not completed these subjects prior to enrolment will be required to complete bridging courses covering their general content. Each bridging course has a study load of 2.5 ECTS credits and has been specifically designed for students enrolling in this master's degree program.
Calendar- First period: 1 February - 10 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 26 June.
- Second period: 12 June - 3 September 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 8 September.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
- Pre-enrolment application
- Photocopy of degree certificate or equivalent qualification. In case of admission, foreign degrees that require so should be translated and authenticated through diplomatic channels before completing the enrolment.
- Other specific documentation related to the selection criteria
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- Grants and financial aid (in Catalan)
- Economic information (in Catalan)
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||17|
List of subjects
|Specialization: BC for admission to the Master's Degree in Neuroscience|
|Principles of Cell Biology and Molecular Biology||Optional||1st semester||2.5|
|Principles of Psychobiology||Optional||1st semester||2.5|
List of spring and autumn teaching staff on a current course
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
- Institut de Neurociències UB
- Center for Brain and Cognition
- Institit d'Investigació Biomèdica