Objectives and competences
The master's degree in Advanced Immunology at the University of Barcelona includes various areas, such as research and teaching, biotechnology, medicine and veterinary science. A comprehensive understanding of the immune system also equips students to evaluate pathological processes that directly involve the immune system or are associated with other physiological systems.
Immunology is the branch of biomedical sciences concerned with the study of the physiopathology of the immune system. The study of immunology seeks to solve problems posed by complex pathologies of particular importance to public health. Through methodological development, immunology has become an essential tool in biotechnology, in the design of drugs and diagnostic instruments, and in a multitude of therapeutic applications. Immunology is a key field in biomedical research around the world.
This is directly related to the extraordinary advances in healthcare produced in the field of immunology over the past fifty years: vaccines, transplants, antibodies, anticancer therapy, cell differentiation factors, and anti-inflammatory drug therapy. The master¿s degree Immunology provides knowledge and skills that offer students a wide range of opportunities in many areas, such as research and education, biotechnology, medicine and veterinary science. A comprehensive understanding of the immune system also equips students to evaluate pathological processes that directly involve the immune system or are associated with other physiological systems.
Objectives and competences
This course aims to provide a sufficient body of knowledge on immunology to access the professional opportunities offered in this field. Knowledge of this subject is necessary for the diagnosis and treatment of a large number of diseases that affect a high percentage of the human and animal populations, including infectious diseases caused by bacteria, viruses (AIDS) and parasites, as well as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory processes (rheumatoid arthritis), allergies, transplants and cancer, which require a broad therapeutic arsenal including gene therapy. In addition, from the point of view of public health prevention, vaccines have been the most effective therapeutic weapon in human history and their development is directly related to the knowledge of immunology. The aim of this postgraduate programme is to provide a grounding in the theoretical and practical aspects that underpin the training of professionals in human and animal health and professionals in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors.
The knowledge centred around the master's degree in Advanced Immunology is a platform to a wide range of possibilities in different fields of study: activities related to knowledge of the immune system, its cellular and molecular components, functional processes, and cellular and molecular interactions within anatomical structures and general physiology.
The four areas in which this knowledge is developed are:
-Research and Teaching
The master's degree also aims to set a benchmark for quality, bringing together leading academics from across the Barcelona metropolitan area and generating synergies among centres of immunology education in the foremost universities, hospitals and research institutes (IDIBAPS, IDIBELL, CRESA, IRB, CRG, etc.). This is supported by key professional associations such as the Catalan Society for Immunology.
- Capacity to produce thorough analyses of scientific articles.
- Capacity to write and defend scientific and technical reports.
- Capacity to demonstrate motivation for scientific research.
- Capacity to work ethically and with respect for the environment.
- Capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
- Capacity to work safely in a laboratory environment.
- Capacity to communicate knowledge of immunology and the conclusions drawn from its application to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Ability to expand and improve the knowledge of immunology associated with the degree, and ability to develop and apply this knowledge in a research context in an original way.
- Ability to work as part of a group, to collaborate with other researchers and to demonstrate a capacity for independent learning.
- Capacity to demonstrate the ability to teach and disseminate knowledge in the field of immunology.
- Capacity to resolve immunological problems in new environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts.
- Ability to remain up to date with the development of knowledge in immunology in the international scientific community.
- Ability to integrate the knowledge acquired in immunology and to formulate judgements giving due consideration to the social and ethical responsibilities implicitly linked to this knowledge.
SPECIFIC COMPETENCES FOR SPECIALIZATION
- Ability to master the complexity of knowledge pertaining to the structure and function of the molecules, cells and tissues responsible for the immune response and their integration with other physiological systems.
- Ability to apply the most advanced experimental and bioinformatic techniques and tools used in immunology.
- Ability to integrate basic research into clinical applications.
- Ability to interact with other specialist medical, veterinary and pharmaceutical professionals in the field of immunology.
- Capacity to devise the development of analytical reagents for improvement and innovation in the field of immunology.
- Ability to conceive and design experiments that provide answers to relevant questions, to carry them out using the appropriate instruments and techniques, to analyse the results and to propose new experiments if necessary.
- Ability to identify forms of manipulating the immune response in humans and in animal models for applications aimed at designing or improving therapeutic targets. Specialization: Immunobiotechnology and Research
- Ability to identify or apply potential new drugs or new therapeutic targets in the field of immunology. Specialization: Immunobiotechnology and Research
- Ability to identify pathological alterations of the immune system and to associate them with the regulation and function of immune mechanisms. Specialization: Medical Immunology
- Ability to understand the involvement of the immune system in infectious processes, cancer, transplantation and allergic processes, and to be able to identify or manipulate tools from the immune system to address these pathological processes. Specialization: Medical Immunology
- Ability to diagnose and prevent diseases associated with the immune system in domestic and livestock animals. Specialization: Veterinary Immunology
- Ability to interpret analytical results and to use them to diagnose alterations of the immune system. Specializations: Medical Immunology and Veterinary Immunology
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profile
Access requirements and conditions
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
- First period: 1 February - 11 June 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 26 June.
- Second period: 12 June - 3 September 2023.
Notification of resolutions: 8 September.
- Pre-enrolment fee: A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged. Students who apply to more than one master's degree must pay the fee for each pre-enrolment request. Pre-enrolment requests cannot be processed until this fee has been paid.Fees will only be refunded if the master's degree in question is suspended.
- Reserved places: A maximum of 5% of the new places of the master's degree are reserved for students who meet the general and specific access requirements and accredit the recognition of a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned
Calendar: July (18 -28) and September (12 -17).
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
List of subjects
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields. They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment. They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.