|Faculty or school||Faculty of Geography and History|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available||
75 (excluding double degrees)
|Length of course||4 academic years|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan 90,6%, Spanish 9,1%, English 0,3%|
5,000 (July 2022, start of process, via official entrance examinations/vocational training)
|Approximate price per credit||18,46 €|
|Coordinator||SANTIAGO RIERA MORA|
Objectives and competences
- To learn the basics concepts of the discipline, the evolution of archaeological theory and the most relevant historical processes from prehistory to the modern world, as well as the main methods, techniques and tools of analysis of archeology.
- To acquire the capacity to solve problems to transform archeological data into quality historical knowledge.
- To understand the theoretical and methodological contributions from other disciplines to optimize resources and improve the results of studies and research.
- To learn to express a critical assessment of archeology, as well as to examine and document any kind of archaeological source.
- To keep looking for quality and take on an ethical commitment.
- To achieve a level of competence in the management of archaeological heritage and restore the knowledge generated to the communities involved.
- To learn to express oneself orally and in writing, using the correct terminology of the discipline. To learn to transmit and disseminate acquired knowledge to diverse audiences, specialized or not.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileWhat you will need Language competence and analysis skills. Foreign language competence (the reading skills required to study course-related literature and the general communication skills required to pursue course-related training). Familiarity with a classic language, preferably Latin. Computer skills at a user level.
Access requirements and conditions
Admission for students with studies completed outside Spain.
Applicants holding higher educational qualifications from a university outside Spain should consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications to find out about specific admission requirements.
Students that have studied abroad and who wish to study at the University of Barcelona may be admitted to EHEA bachelor's degree courses. Procedures for gaining admission will depend on the qualifications held by each applicant.
For further information about admission, consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online via the Món UB portal. To find out the date and time you have been assigned, check the specific information for your course. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned.
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- After enrolment
- Grants and financial aid
Support and guidance
Pre-enrolment information and events
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||6|
List of subjects
|Anthropology and History||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Archaeological Methodology I||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Archaeological Theory and Thought||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Art and History||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Ancient History||2nd semester||Basic training||9|
|Gender Archaeology||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Prehistory||2nd semester||Basic training||9|
|Archaeological Methodology II||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Epigraphy and Numismatics||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Medieval History||1st semester||Basic training||9|
|Modern History||1st semester||Basic training||9|
|Archaeological Methodology III||2nd semester||Compulsory||9|
|Archaeological Topography and Field Drawing||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Contemporary History||2nd semester||Basic training||9|
|Written and Documentary Sources||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Drawing of Materials and Images in Archaeology||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Geoarchaeology, Landscape Archaeology and Territory||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Prehistoric and Protohistoric Archaeology||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Archaeology of Classical and Late Antiquity||2nd semester||Compulsory||9|
|Archaeometry and Quantitative Methods||2nd semester||Compulsory||9|
|Field Work I||2nd semester||Practices||6|
|Bioarchaeology and Biological and Forensic Archaeology||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Medieval and Postmedieval Archaeology||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Archaeology and Professional Practice||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Field Work II||2nd semester||Practices||6|
|Final project||2nd semester||Compulsory final project||6|
|Management of Archaeological Heritage||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Ancient Hispania||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Classification and Study of the Ancient World Furniture Material||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Human origins||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Iberian Culture||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Latest Trends. Interpretation Record in Medieval Archaeology||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Materials and Production Technologies of medieval||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Medieval History of Catalonia||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Medieval History of Spain||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Mediterranean Colonization of the Ancient World||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Modern and Contemporary Archaeology||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Prehistoric Art||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Prehistory in Catalonia||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Prehistory of the Iberian Peninsula||1st semester||Optional||6|
|The Transformation of Rural Landscape in Antiquity||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Urbanism and Architecture in the Ancient World||2nd semester||Optional||6|
Pathways and specializationsArchaeology
Check the planning of the different pathways of the degree
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields.They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment.They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?
- Excavations, archaeological studies or environmental and heritage impact assessments.
- Inventory, documentation and cultural heritage communication.
- Research in specialist centres: universities, museums and research institutions.
- Archaeological heritage management Manager of the archaeological heritage in nationalstate, regional and local administrations.
- Cultural service institutions and companies.
- Creation of and consultancy on Elaboration and advice of historical-archaeological contents forby publishers, the media, etc.
- Teaching in secondary education.
Access to the labour marketData from the university system in Catalonia
Faculty of Geography and History
Montalegre, 6 - 08001 Barcelona
Secretary: 934 037 728 - 934 037 729