|Faculty or school||Faculty of Geography and History|
|Branch of knowledge|
|Mode of delivery|
|Number of places available|
|Length of course||4 academic years|
|Language(s) of instruction||Catalan 72,3%, Spanish 27,7%|
5,000 (July 2022, start of process, via official entrance examinations/vocational training)
|Approximate price per credit||17,69 €|
|Coordinator||RAUL MARQUEZ PORRAS|
Objectives and competences
What you will learn
- The principles of diversity in human society and culture, both today and with a view to the future, and a comparative approach to its causes and results.
- A detailed understanding of the disciplines of social and cultural anthropology, including economics and ecology, parenting systems and gender, politics and law, belief systems, religion and ritual and the social and cultural uses of symbolism and thought as these relate to cultural diversity, social conflict and the emergence of new social and cultural models.
- The uses of empirical field work and data retrieval for generating anthropological theory.
- The knowledge and skills to practise in the field of social and cultural anthropology.
Access and admission
Applicant profile and access requirements
Recommended applicant profileWhat you will need Personal interest in the study of social and cultural diversity across and within society and in the challenges this diversity raises. Personal interest in acquiring a critical understanding of new social realities, and the desire to practise in area of activity related to these. Applicants will need successfully completed school leaver studies in humanities or social sciences, and should have strong reading skills and discursive ability. A fair knowledge of English is recommended for the course's specialist reading list and all applicants must have basic IT skills for the course curriculum and online resources.
Access requirements and conditions
Admission for students with studies completed outside Spain.
Applicants holding higher educational qualifications from a university outside Spain should consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications to find out about specific admission requirements.
Students that have studied abroad and who wish to study at the University of Barcelona may be admitted to EHEA bachelor's degree courses. Procedures for gaining admission will depend on the qualifications held by each applicant.
For further information about admission, consult the page Admission with foreign qualifications.
As a general rule, at the UB you will be required to enrol online via the Món UB portal. To find out the date and time you have been assigned, check the specific information for your course. Remember that you can lose your place if you do not enrol on the day you have been assigned.
- Documents required for enrolment
- Procedure to formalize enrolment
- After enrolment
- Grants and financial aid
Support and guidance
Pre-enrolment information and events
Subjects and course plans
Distribution of credits
|Compulsory final project||12|
List of subjects
|Comparative Study of Contemporary History||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Human Geography||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Instrumental Techniques||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Sociology||1st semester||Basic training||6|
|Anthropology of Contemporary Society||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Population and Demography||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Social Theory||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|The World Today||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Workshop on Ethnography||2nd semester||Basic training||6|
|Anthropology of Economics||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|Anthropology of Kinship||1st semester||Compulsory||9|
|History and Theory of Anthropology I||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Regional Ethnology I||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology of Religion||2nd semester||Compulsory||9|
|History and Theory of Anthropology II||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Political Anthropology||2nd semester||Compulsory||9|
|Regional Ethnology II||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology and Feminism||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology of Symbols and Cognition||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology of the Legal System||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Ecological Anthropology||1st semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology of Development||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Anthropology of Health||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Ethnological Heritage and Museum Studies||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Migrations and Transnational Processes||2nd semester||Compulsory||6|
|Final Project||Annual||Compulsory final project||12|
|Anthropology and Sociocultural Mediation||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology and Transformations of the Family||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Art||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Consumption||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Food||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Myth||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Social Exclusion||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Social Movements||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Anthropology of Tourism||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Cultural Learning and Education||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Gender and Identities||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Professional Placement I||
|Science, Technology and Culture||1st semester||Optional||6|
|Urban Anthropology||2nd semester||Optional||6|
|Visual Anthropology||1st semester||Optional||6|
Pathways and specializationsSocial and Cultural Anthropology
Check the planning of the different pathways of the degree
Placements in a company or another type of organization are an integral part of university studies, providing first-hand experience of working methodologies in students' chosen professional fields.They offer invaluable practical experience for the transition into work after graduation.
Placements are supervised by tutors and subject to assessment.They are therefore included in the academic record. There is also an option to complete non-curricular placements of up to 500 hours, which can be extended to 900 hours. For both curricular and non-curricular placements, an educational cooperation agreement is signed between the UB and the company, institution or other organization at which the placement will be carried out.
What can you work on ?
- In intercultural relations and cultural diversity, including mediation, consultancy (in specific areas of cultural or language difference), liaison with community and social projects, and health care.
- In activities related to ethnological heritage, including conservation, consultancy, publishing, knowledge management and cultural promotion.
- In land development and international cooperation, including social development consultancy, project management and assessment, help organizations, intercultural mediation, and ethnological research and project assessment in indigenous communities and local community programs.
- In cultural promotion and management, including consultancy, project assessment in policy programs, sociocultural liason and cultural promotion.
- In education and research, including secondary school teaching, training in cultural diversity, and mass media support.
- In applied research, consultancy and social work.
Access to the labour marketData from the university system in Catalonia
Faculty of Geography and History
Montalegre, 6 - 08001 Barcelona
Secretary: 934 037 728 - 934 037 729